Record Cabinet

We have gotten into vinyl collecting in recent months. We had always had a few records, but our collection has grown rapidly this year. We exhausted our storage options with our current house and decided it was time to get some type of shelf. After some looking, it appeared many people favored the Ikea Expedit (and here) for vinyl storage. Unfortunately, the closest Ikea is a few hours away and shipping was a little pricey. So we decided to build a cabinet. This was to be Steve’s most ambitious project to date.

I custom built it to fit a corner of the house. It was decided to be a 2×3 setup with doors housing record sleeves as art. I decided to use MDF (medium density fiberboard) instead of hardwood plywood due to the fact we could save $15 a sheet. The cabinet is built from 3/4″ MDF (~$30) while the doors are made from 1/4″ MDF and 1-1/4″ trim ($35). The LP Frames came from Micheals for $4 a piece (on sale from $9.99)! Hardware, paint, and whatever else came from Home Depot for about $50.

I used a single sheet of the 3/4″ MDF and had it cut to the appropriate sizes.

Pile of boards

The next step was routing the boards. I had never used a router before so didn’t really know what to expect. A little practice and it was figured out. Using the measuring tape I was able to find out the spacing of the cut and then used a straight board anchored with some C-clamps as a guide. I had to widen all my gaps by 1/16″ due to MDF being slightly wider than plywood. This was easily done by using a piece of paperboard that I cut off the back of a notebook.

Clamp for a straight edge

I never thought I would use so much wood glue on this project. But everything got glued. Now it’s time for assembly. Like I said, I glued every joint then used 1-1/4″ finishing nails. The top shelf is split in order to hold CD/DVDs and 7″ records.  It is removable/ adjustable. I also glued 1/4″ braces below each shelf for extra support.

LESSON 1: Measure twice, cut once, measure again! I failed to account for the 1/16″ of each cut that is turned into saw dust. Therefore, a few of my boards were too short and we had to make ‘adjustments.’

Bottom

Middle

Top shelf

Time to paint. I used a primer/paint combo in order to skip the priming step. Apply two coats and it is looking great.

Painting the edges

After 2 coats

The cabinet is done, now time to add the doors. Below is the concept to get the spacing; then like a said before, add lots of wood glue! I had to buy a miter box to make the cuts. It was rather inexpensive including the box and saw for $8. Measuring this was a pain. When buying the wood, I made the mistake of only buying enough trim for one door. DOH!

Herb Alpert Record!

Finished door!

Mounting the doors was difficult, but we did it. Here they are painted:

Almost there!

LESSON 2: Paint last! I painted the doors before I mounted them. Meaning, it was too late to trim or sand the corners to make for a better fit. It took alot more effort than what was required because I painted the doors first.

So time to move the case to its final home, mount the pull knobs, and install the frames! There we go; my own home built record storage cabinet!

YES!

Open up!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Record Cabinet

  1. Johnf668

    Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, great written and include almost all significant infos. I’d like to see more posts like this. eecgdefgebfa

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s